Thursday, March 10, 2011

WIP: High Elves Sea Guard part 6

Previously on... WIP: High Elves Sea Guard

The shields were very fun to paint.

We start off with the base grey/white on the shield, so I basecoat the star in Turquoise. Notice the gem was painted previously.



Now I give strong shadows on the lower part of the star spikes, with Dark Green and a bit of Blue Ink from Andrea.



I outline the whole star with a mixture of Dark Green, Red and Blue Inks from Andrea. As you can see the outlining is not perfect, but that's because the relief I did on the shields is quite irregular, so now I try to fix this by modelling them with colours (which means creating the sensation of volumes which aren't there by using paint).



So now I fill in the gaps of irregularities with more turquoise.



Some lighting on the star spikes which receive the more direct sunlight (basicly, the spikes in the middle of the star).



So that's all the work on the star. I pass on to the back freehand on the shield. (Notice the following photos are from another elf, thus the difference in contrast and colours). First I paint roughly and slightly the shape which will serve me as a guide.



Same with the inner blue lines.



Now that I'm satisfied with the drawing, I insist on the lines I made, to make them final.



Take a look at another shield.



And that's all on the shields. Let's pass on to the faces.

First, basecoat of Base Skin 2 from Andrea Color Skin Set.



As this is quite a quick process I won't show you all the steps. Just lighting using the base colour adding a bit of Ice Yellow from Vallejo, and the shadows done adding Shadow Skin 2 from Andrea Color Skin Set. Also, light spots of pure white which will give definition to the face, and details, such as teeth, using white but not pure. Mixed with Ice Yellow for example.



WIP: High Elves Sea Guard part 7

1 comment:

Paul´s Bods said...

Nice looking fig and a great article.
Greetings
Paul